date changed to April 27, 2019, register for your spot from the page here.
January 23, 2019
11425 E Foothill Blvd, Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730
-Friday, December 14: grades pause for progress report grades. All tests need to be completed by this day to reflect on your grade.
–Monday, December 17: SHIRTS!!! We will distribute during class.
–Tuesday, December 18: Class performances
- Wear new shirts with blue or black jeans.
-Period 2 (9:20-9:40)
-Period 3 (10:20-10:40)
-Period 4 (12:20-12:40)
-Period 5 (1:00-1:20)
- Doors will open 5 minutes before for seating. Parents will need to sign in with Lobby guard, so they will need some extra time before.
–Wednesday, December 19:
-7th/8th all music will be collected, and new music will be distributed
-6th new pass offs will be assigned
(Instruments can go home today and stay home for the break.)
–Thursday, December 20: Day off (continue movie)
Instruments go home. 200 points for break. (The door will be locked on Friday)
–Friday, December 21: Mrs. Newland absent
-Modified schedule, only 30 minutes per class period.
-Worksheets with the substitute, they will be due at end of period.
(instrument closets will not be open)
Merry Christmas, see You in the New Year!
Tuesday, December 18
Each band period will put on a little performance for selected classes in the MPR.
parents are invited to attend. Please be prepared to check in with Lobby Guard ahead of schedule.
Times are as follows: Doors will open 5 minutes prior.
Period 2- 7th grade band 9:20-9:40 am
Period 3- 6th grade band 10:20-10:40 am
Period 4- 6th grade band 12:20-12:40 pm
Period 5- 8th grade band 1:00-1:30 pm
New band shirts will be distributed on Monday.
Students will wear New shirts with blue or black jeans.
Grading will be 100 points in total. Behavior, following directions, participation, and dress code.
Wednesday, December 5, 2018
5:30 call time at Barnes and Noble
11090 Foothill Blvd, Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730
6:15-6:45 Performance set
7:00 dismissal after clean up and load up
- Students are responsible for their instruments to and from the event
- Transportation is by individuals
- At the end, students will need to help clean up the area, by loading the stands and other equipment into Mrs. Newland’s car.
- Students should wear pep shirts, with blue or black jeans. Students may wear sleeves underneath the pep shirt, but all outerwear will be removed for performance.
Please follow the link to the T-shirt order form.
Wednesday, November 14, 2018 at 6 pm in the Multipurpose room
6th grade: 4:40 Room 40
7th grade: 5:00 Room 32
8th grade: 5:00 Room 41
Students should be dressed in their Formal Concert Attire: see page.
Free concert- please be aware of small children that may disrupt the performance.
We are looking for a parent representative for the Friends of Ruth Musser meetings.
Meetings are once a month on the 2nd Wednesday at 3 pm in the library.
The next meeting is Wednesday November 14.
This parent will be the communication between the band program and the parent organization. You would help program family nights, and other fundraisers. You would help communicate the band events to the parent club and out to band parents.
Please email or call Mrs. Newland if you are interested.
White board markers (large)
Blue Painters Tape
Clear packing tape
-Required for all members.
-Events include but are not limited to: school performances, concerts, festivals, for sporting events, etc.
-Point value different for each event.
-Detailed information will appear before each event.
-Excuses will not accepted for any absences. Make up work will be provided based on circumstance and may entail attending an outside performance, interviewing classmates, writing a report, or all three.
Fall Concert: Wednesday, November 14, 2018 at 6 pm in the Multipurpose Room
Spring Concert: Wednesday, April 17, 2019 at 6 pm in the Multipurpose Room
Participation 15% (10 points per day)
-Have instrument, music, and materials in working order.
-Have a positive attitude for learning
-Follow directions and procedures.
-Be physically prepared
-Participating in all class activities and playing to the best of one’s abilities
Tests and Quizzes 15%
-A test or quiz will be given at least once a week.
-Can include performance, written or electronic based.
-The weight of each will be determined based on the length of time the unit or lesson has occurred.
-Make-up for absences will have to be scheduled during Mrs. Newland’s office hours.
-Playing tests can be re-taken for high scores- and will have to be scheduled.
-Including permission slips, parent info, studying and practicing.
-Take home instrument. Every day equals 5 points. Weekends earn 10, and holidays are calculated per day of vacation.
-Late work is received until the grading period ends. Some materials are time sensitive and cannot be turned in late.
-All notes, worksheets, group activities, and projects
-These activities may be ranging from multiple times a week to a few times a trimester.
-Late work is accepted until the grading period ends. Some materials are time sensitive and cannot be turned in late.
- Be Respectful– of your classmates, your teacher, the room, instruments, equipment, and supplies
- Be Responsible– on time, with instrument, music, pencil, and ready to learn
- Be Courteous– no profanity, putdowns, hurtful comments, and be aware of personal space
- Be Smart – think before you act, be honest, and mean what you say
- Be advised: students who leave any instrument or other belongings in the music room or any storage space in the music room do so at their own risk. Mrs. Newland, Ruth Musser Middle School, and the Central School District cannot take any responsibility for damaged, lost, or stolen items which were left in the music room or on campus.
- Newland will do her best to keep the storage closets closed and locked after school hours but cannot guarantee the safety of any item in the storage closets or music room.
- Students who leave items in the music room accept all responsibility for these items.
- Only instruments/equipment may be store in the closets. Backpacks, books, clothing, etc. must remain with the student throughout the school day.
- Any items left in the closets other than instruments/equipment will be removed by Mrs. Newland and placed in lost and found.