Dear Parents/Guardians and Students:
School-owned band equipment is property of the music department at Ruth Musser Middle School. It is considered a privilege to use this equipment. Students are expected to provide their own reeds, neck straps, valve oil, slide grease, sticks and any other items necessary for the daily use of the equipment. Students are to report any equipment damage to Mrs. Newland immediately, and to notify her prior to having any repair work done. Music equipment privileges may be revoked at any time.
By Signing this contract, the student and parent/guardian agrees to the following:
- Treat the instrument with care and respect. The student will treat the instrument with respect and only use the instrument for its intended purpose. The student will store the instrument in the case provided. Misuse of any instrument will result in the student losing the use of the instrument.
- Maintain the instrument. Students are expected to work to the best of their ability to ensure that the utmost care and handling is exercised with this equipment at all times. As the instrument is used, problems will occur and the instrument will need repair. The school will be responsible for all regular maintenance items on the instrument. Students are required to notify Mrs. Newland of any necessary repairs as soon as the student is aware of the problem. Students are expected to return the instrument cleaned at the end of the school year. Mrs. Newland will provide instructions describing the steps necessary to properly clean the instrument.
- Instrument Storage. Students are expected to store the instruments on the appropriate shelf in the instrument closet. Students are responsible for the instrument/equipment, even while it is in the band closet. Students understand that they may only transport instruments in the appropriate case. Instrument cases should only contain the instrument, mouthpiece, and other supplies necessary to maintain the instrument (i.e. cork grease, reed, valve oil). Music books, binders and folders may not be kept inside the instrument cases.
- Lending Instruments. Students are expected to only use their own instrument/equipment. Students who give their instruments/equipment to other students to “try” will receive a stop stamp. Continued lending of instruments or equipment may result in the student’s equipment privileges being revoked. This is for the safety of the instruments and everyone who uses them.
- Loss/Damage/Theft. In the event of loss or damage occurs (excluding regular maintenance) to equipment the is checked-out to them, the student is expected to immediately notify Mrs. Newland. Parents/Guardians are financially responsible for any loss/damage/theft that occurs to the equipment that is checked out to them.