Central School District has postponed all school activities and trips, and that is including our spring concert scheduled for March 18. There are a few possible dates after spring break that we can reschedule, if the situation with COVID-19 improves. I am disappointed the students cannot show off their skills just yet, but I am hopeful we will be able to reschedule at a later date.
All after school activities have also been suspended before spring break, so students will not be spending time in the band room either. Including Pep Band and open practice.
We will spend all the class time when need making sure students can catch up with their work, and continue to enhance their skills.
We will spend time sanitizing and cleaning the instruments.
All instruments to go home for spring break.
I am praying for health, happiness, and peace in this time of uncertainty.
Blessings on you and yours,
Congratulations on your “Excellent” scores at the Los Osos Festival on March 7. You represented our school with Pride!
8th Grade Band: Saturday, March 7, 2020
Times are as follows and may be adjusted closer to the day. We will travel to and from RMMS by bus. Every student is responsible for their own instrument and music.
- 9:15 am meet at RMMS to load up the bus
- 9:45-10:00 am arrive and unload at Los Osos HS
- 10:30 am official warm up time.
- 11:00 am Official Performance (Free performance, parents welcome to attend)
- 11:30 Sight Reading (parents welcome to watch)
- 12:00 wait for scores and load up the bus to return. (Snack break) 12:30 all students at RMMS ready to be dismissed
Formal Concert Attire: Black on Bottom, White on Top
- black shoes: solid black, closed shoes preferably and comfortable to walk in. (and stand waiting)
- black pants (preferably not jeans), Girls that have skirts must be below the knees when sitting.
- black socks, stockings or tights are ok, but should be black or nude.
- white collared button-down shirt (preferably long sleeved). White undershirts suggested.
7th Grade Contest:
Wednesday, March 4, 2020
- The festival is at Baldwin Park High School: 3900 Puente Ave, Baldwin Park, CA, 91706.
- Buses will enter the parking area from Badillo St.
- Visitor parking will be in the stadium lot off Puente or the front of campus. All visitors will be required to present a valid form of ID and check in before entering the school.
- 8:15 (1st period) students meet at the band room, gather materials and load up. Students bring their instruments, clothes, and sack lunch. (back packs with materials recommended)
- 8:30 leave RMMS
- 9:00-10:45 arrive to Baldwin Park HS, Watch other performances,
- 10:45-11:30 eat lunch, change into performance clothes
- 11:45 official warm up (separate classroom)
- 12:15 Performance (gym)
- 12:45 Clinic room (separate classroom)
- 1:30 wait for scores, pack up, leave Sierra Vista
- 2:00-2:30 arrive back to RMMS. Students unload and get dismissed
Attire: “black on bottom, white on top”
- black shoes: solid black, closed shoes
preferably and comfortable to walk in.
- black pants (preferably not jeans), Girls that
have skirts must be below the knees when sitting.
- black socks, stockings or tights are ok, but
should be black or nude.
- white collared button-down shirt (preferably
long sleeved). White undershirts suggested.
Letter with these details goes home 2/3/20 and bottom portion to be returned as confirmation.
The 8th grade Wind Ensemble is partnering with the Azusa Pacific University Wind Ensemble for a new experience. This will include a partial clinic (instruction) and rehearsal with the college students.
Students will report straight to 6th period (normal band time) to load up the bus with their instruments and belongings.
We will leave RMMS as soon as we can load up, no later than 2 pm.
We will leave rehearsal at APU about 5 pm, load the bus, and travel back to RMMS. Hopefully arriving back no later than 6 pm. Students will be able to call home when we are close to school, for pick up.
Students should wear their band shirts and bring a snack for the bus ride. (Please no peanuts).
Students will be receiving the permission slip/release form.
Concert Band: March 4, 2020 at Sierra Vista High School
Wind Ensemble: March 7, 2020 at Los Osos High School
times have not yet been assigned.
bus will be taken to and from RMMS for each contest.
This is a very serious event and the results of the performance earn a rating: Superior (A), Excellent (B), Good (C), Fair (D), and Poor (F). Each student matters to the overall score, and individual preparation is important.
Pep Band performs at the annual Barnes and Noble Family Night.
Wednesday, December 4, 2019
5:45 call time at Barnes and Noble
11090 Foothill Blvd, Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730
6:15-6:45 Performance set
7:00 dismissal after clean up and load up
- Students are responsible for their instruments to and from the event
- Transportation is by individuals
- At the end, students will need to help clean up the area, by loading the stands and other equipment into Mrs. Newland’s car.
- Students should wear pep shirts, with blue or black jeans. Students may wear sleeves underneath the pep shirt, but all outerwear will be removed for performance. Holiday hat and Headbands are optional.
Friday, October 25, 2019
Wind Ensemble Members
Students transport themselves to and from Rancho Cucamonga High School with instruments.
When: October 25,
- Meet at RCHS at 5:15 (at the gym then we’ll move down to the band room).
- 6:50 perform National Anthem
- 7:00 pm Game Start
- Pep tunes in the stands with the Band
- Watch ½ show and recap with the RCHS band members
- 9:00 pm Pick up from the Gym (same as drop off)
Where: 11801 Lark
Drive, Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91701
Band Shirts and gear. Blue or Black pants. Bring sweatshirts. Comfortable
Map is attached.
Arrival and Dismissal:
Students will check in with Mrs. Newland upon arrival. Parents
may attend the football game at regular game prices.
Parents attending the game may check their student out after the half time band performance. All other pickups will be at 9:00 at the gym. ALL students must check out with Mrs. Newland before dismissal.
Students carpooling with others must mark that option on the medical slip.
Tuesday, October 22, 2019
2nd period: Concert Band (7th) 9:20-9:40
3rd period: Beginning Band (6th) 10:20-10:40
4th period: Beginning Band (6th) 12:20-12:40
6th period: Wind Ensemble (8th) 2:00-2:30
Students wear black band shirts and long pants
Concert band songs: Antique Car Parade, the Bingo Polka, Starship Overture, Arena of the Gladiators
Beginning Band Songs: #1-10 Smashup, #14 Rolling Along, #17 Hot Cross Buns, #18 Go Tell Aunt Rhodie, #25 Lightly Row, #28 Au Claire de la Lune, #30 London Bridge.
Wind Ensemble songs: Salsa and Chips, Adagio Cantabile, Horse and Buffalo, Trails of Glory.
Wednesday, October 2, 2019
Band is hosting this month’s Family Night.
Enjoy great food, fellowship, and raise money for school activities.
Don’t forget a printed flyer for a portion of your meal to return to the school.
When you child brings the receipt the next day, they will receive extra credit!